Which Life Stage Shake® is right for you?
Women’s nutritional needs change during menstruation, pregnancy, breastfeeding and menopause. A woman’s reproductive life means that her nutritional needs differ greatly from those of a man.
We created the Life Stage Shake® so our customers have a food source supporting their stage in life with daily nutrition in one plant-based protein shake.
Our Reproductive Years Life Stage Shake® is for women during the childbearing years. If you are currently having a monthly period and could get pregnant, this is the correct Life Stage Shake® for you. The vitamins and minerals in this shake support your monthly iron needs, as well as plant-based protein and probiotics for gut health.
- Folic acid/folate (Vitamin B9) is needed for allwomen who might get pregnant, even if you are not planning on getting pregnant. It helps your body make blood cells and the DNA for new cells. It also aids in protein digestion, and helps prevent premature births, should you get pregnant. Folic acid can help prevent certain birth defects which can happen during the first 3 months of pregnancy.
- Low Vitamin B12 can impact the reproductive system, from cell abnormalities in the cervix and uterus to anovulation (not releasing an egg during your monthly cycle), and abnormal estrogen levels (needed for successful full-term pregnancies). This vitamin isessential for a healthy nervous system development and function if you get pregnant.
- Ironis lost during your monthly period. Around 1 mg of iron is lost for every day of bleeding.Iron helps build healthy blood cells that carry oxygen in your body, as well as energy production and immune function. It also helps make certain hormones and connective tissue in your body.
- Calcium isassociated with the formation and metabolism of bone. Needed for healthy bones and teethand essential for muscle contraction, secretion of neurotransmitters and hormones, and blood coagulation.
- Vitamin D is crucial to the health of ovarian cells and can help balance the levels of sex-related hormones in the body. It also supports calcium absorption. Low vitamin D can contribute to higher rates of preeclampsia, preterm birth, bacterial vaginosis and gestational diabetes, if you get pregnant.
- Zinc isa “key regulator” of oocyte (egg cell) development playing a role in oocyte division, fertilization, DNA regulation, and embryo development.Zinc is alsoinvolved in numerous aspects of cellular metabolism, immune function, protein synthesis, DNA synthesisandcell division.
- Iodineis crucial for the healthy development of a baby's brain during pregnancy.
- Probiotics can help prevent urinary tract infections, boost immunity, improve fertility, help treat vaginal infections, clear up skin problems, and support digestion.
The Pregnancy/Lactation Life Stage Shake® is for women who are pregnant or currently nursing. Their needs at this time are very important for their own health, as well as their baby.
- Folic acidhelps prevent neural tube defects that can develop in the first 30 days after conception – these defects are serious abnormalities of the brain and spinal cord.
- Ironsupports the baby’s growth and development and carries oxygen to mom and baby.
- Calciumis a mineral that helps your baby’s bones, teeth, heart, muscles and nerves develop and prevent Mom from losing her own bone density. It can also help prevent blood clots and helps with nerve function.
- Vitamin Dhelps your body absorb calcium, as well as helping your body’s nerves, muscles, and immune system work.
- Vitamin B12 is an important factor in DNA synthesis and may help prevent neural tube defects.
- Iodineis critical for a woman’s healthy thyroid function during pregnancy – a deficiency in iodine can cause stunted physical growth, mental disability, and even deafness. Not getting enough iodine can contribute to miscarriage and stillbirth.
- Iron is needed to help blood for the baby and mother as well as carry oxygen. It can prevent anemia, low birth weight and premature delivery.
- Zinc helps produce insulin and enzymes.
- According to recent studies, probiotics can stabilize blood sugar, help keep you regular and could lower the risk of preterm birth and preeclampsia.
The Menopause & Beyond Life Stage Shakes® are for women who have gone 12 months without a monthly period.
During the PERI-menopause transition the “Reproductive Years” Life Stage Shake® is the choice for you. If you can get pregnant and must practice contraception, the “Reproductive” Life Stage Shake® is the correct choice. Once you have reached menopause and no longer have your period, then the “Menopause & Beyond” shake is the best choice.
- Calcium and vitamin D are essential for good bone health during this life stage that has an increased risk of developing osteoporosis that can weaken bones due to changes in hormone levels increasing the risk for fractures.
- Vitamin B-6, B-12, and folic acid are also needed for women over 50 years. This age group needs B vitamins more than other women because they are crucial to overall health. They help with red blood cell production, energy production protein metabolism, cognitive development, and nervous system function. Vitamin B-6 is involved in over 100 known enzyme reactions and is essential to immune health. Research also indicates B vitamins may lower the risk of many conditions that impact older women more frequently.
- Probiotics taken by women over 50 halved bone loss compared to women not taking probiotics according to a new 2018 study.
At Eat Like a Woman® we embrace that a woman’s health journey is very different than a man’s journey. Our Life Stage Shake® was created to support your health at YOUR stage in life!
By Staness Jonekos, CEO/Founder/Author of Eat Like a Woman, Inc.