Spirituality tips for a busy lifestyle
Most of us lead busy lives – family, career, parenting, community activities, home repairs, and social obligations – so how do you squeeze in a little spirituality? When you feel trapped in the center of a tornado of activity, spirituality may keep you grounded to your center of happiness.
Many confuse spirituality with religion. Being spiritual simply means being connected with your true spirit without the many layers of life cloaking the real you.
How do you keep connected to your spirit when daily activities leave no room for you?
1. Ask yourself, “Where and when do I find peace, happiness, and a sense of self?”
Is it when you practice religion? Take a hike? Listen to music? Enjoy a favorite hobby? When you pray or meditate? When you exercise? Is it being connected with community, Mother Nature or art?
2. How can you incorporate that activity into your life daily? For me reading inspiration words or taking a hike allows me to tap into my true self, a time away from responsibility, a place away from expectations. I try to carve out at least 30 minutes a day for a walk or reading.
3. We live in a fast paced world. Computers, e-mail, cell phones, overnight mail all make everything obtainable instantly. Staying connected with your sense of self, your spirituality, is not instant. It takes time, commitment and effort – it takes practice.
4. Being connected to your spirit can only live in the present moment. You must practice being in the present for spirituality to exist. We all struggle with the past and have hopes and dreams for the future. Being torn between the past and future makes it difficult to live in the present. It is being in the present that you will be able to feel connect to your spirituality.
5. Why is your life is so busy? Is your hectic lifestyle a way of hiding from yourself, your problems, a troubled past, physical pain, the fear of a miserable future? Fear will keep you from being connected from your true spirit. You cannot use a busy lifestyle as an excuse to hide from yourself.
How can you honor your spirit? Your body, mind and spirit must all be connected to practice a spiritual life. Tend to your health, nourish your mind and dedicate time to that special place where you feel at peace and balance. When your lifestyle is balanced your true spirit will appear daily in your life.
15 tips to nourish your spirituality
1. Take a walk by yourself (in a safe area)
2. Be positive
3. Do something kind for someone without being found out
4. Clear your schedule. Say “no” sometimes.
5. Let go of control
6. Take a deep breath and live in the moment – be present
7. Meditate or pray – connect with your spirit
8. Spend time with others who have similar spiritual beliefs
9. Read inspiration material
10. Practice gratitude daily
11. Create quiet time daily
12. Really listen when you are in conversation
13. Listen to music that touches your soul
14. Pamper yourself
15. Seek out peaceful moments for reflection
By Staness Jonekos