A perfect St. Paddy’s Day breakfast!
KEGS AND EGGS is a St. Patrick’s Day tradition, and is the act of eating eggs and drinking beer.
For a healthy version, pass on the “kegs” this morning (save those calories for tonight) and enjoy this low calorie, HIGH protein breakfast! This recipe is packed with baby arugula or spinach leaves for the GREEN eggs.
Serve your eggs with a slice of whole-wheat bread or bagel!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
1 tsp olive oil
4 egg whites
1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups tightly packed baby arugula or spinach leaves, or a combination
2 tbsp. grated Parmesan
- Add a thin layer of olive oil to a medium non-stick skillet.
- Sauté the onions over a medium flame, stirring infrequently. Once softened, begin to brown on each side, return the flame to low and allow to slowly caramelize.
- During this time, make sure the onions are spread as evenly as possible across the pan.
- Slowly crisp the onions for about 20 minutes.
- Every few minutes, scrape the bottom and redistribute the onions so each gains the maximum amount of surface area. The onions will sweeten by condensing in their own juices. If you stir too often, the onions will turn to mush.
- Beat the eggs & egg whites together with ¼ teaspoon of salt and a pinch of red pepper. Push the onions to the side of the pan, and pour the eggs in the middle.
- Slowly scramble over low heat, scooping up the partially cooked pieces from the bottom and redistributing the raw egg. When the egg is almost entirely cooked, add the arugula and the cheese.
- Stir to combine, and cook for another minute until the eggs are cooked, but not overdone.
- Add salt to taste, and serve.
Nutrition score per serving (about ½ cup):